Visitors on the autism spectrum or with sensory processing difficulties will have a fun, enjoyable learning experience in a comfortable and accepting environment. The sensory accommodations will include schedule and itinerary suggestions, quiet spaces, hands-on opportunities and gentle social interactions with Village staff.
|Dates & Times
|July 3, 2022 9:30 am - July 3, 2022 12:00 pm
|July 10, 2022 9:30 am - July 10, 2022 12:00 pm
|July 17, 2022 9:30 am - July 17, 2022 12:00 pm
|July 24, 2022 9:30 am - July 24, 2022 12:00 pm
|July 31, 2022 9:30 am - July 31, 2022 12:00 pm
|August 7, 2022 9:30 am - August 7, 2022 12:00 pm
|August 14, 2022 9:30 am - August 14, 2022 12:00 pm
|August 21, 2022 9:30 am - August 21, 2022 12:00 pm
|August 28, 2022 9:30 am - August 28, 2022 12:00 pm
|Adult (19+ years of age)
||$24 (plus HST)
|Student (13-18 years of age)
||$18 (plus HST)
|Youth (5-12 years of age)
||$15 (plus HST)
|Child (0-4 years of age)
Tips for a Successful Visit
This is included in your Upper Canada Village daily programming admission.
Tickets are available for purchase online and purchasing tickets prior to arrival is highly recommended.
The Village is a large outdoor living history site that allows for flexibility. You may decide to stay for an hour or the entire day. Please keep in mind that all buildings and walkways are authentic to the 19th century. You’ll be mostly outside and doing lots of walking on gravel roads and wooden sidewalks.
Friendly Village staff are located throughout the site and always there to help. They will be happy to engage in gentle social interactions with you.
Bring sunscreen, comfortable shoes and bottled water.
Note that we do have a canal, a pond and are on the St. Lawrence River.
You can pick up a site map at Admissions upon arrival or a digital map is available below:
Download the Upper Canada Village Map
All-terrain wheelchairs are available for loan upon request at the Discovery Centre. There is no charge. Access for people in wheelchairs varies from building to building. All buildings are either accessible or partially accessible (i.e. main floors) to all visitors. In some cases, access is through an alternate entrance. Those buildings with a second floor are outfitted with electronic tablets featuring pictures of the upstairs rooms or machinery. Please ask the costumed interpreter.
There are several public washrooms on site:
- Outside the entrance to the Village
- In the Discovery Centre and the Village Store
- In the middle of the Village behind Crysler Hall
- At the east end of the Village near Loucks Farm
- If you require a gender-neutral, single-stall facility, please use the one in the Discovery Centre next to the Admissions desk.
- Bringing and eating your own food/snacks/lunch is permitted. You will find several suitable areas around the Village.
- Covered picnic shelter and shaded picnic tables next to the Harvest Barn Restaurant
- Shaded picnic tables behind the Village Pantry near the Village Store at the entrance
- Many grassy shaded spots and benches inside Upper Canada Village.
- You may fill up your water bottles at the water fountains near the Village Store at the entrance or at any of the washrooms.
There are 2 designated quiet areas on site:
- Discovery Centre in the ship room (Admissions staff will direct you)
- Tenant Farm
You will find cushions, blankets, toys and colouring supplies in a chest in the above areas.
The Discovery Centre and the Village Store & Pantry, are all air-conditioned.
The mills and trade shops use machinery and tools which may be noisy.
Please bring your own noise cancelling equipment. Some of the buildings may contain operating wood stoves.
Additionally, be prepared to see unplanned things such as animals in the fields and sometimes on the streets, noisy horse or oxen-drawn wagons, etc. You may also perceive unfamiliar smells – bread baking at the Bakery, coal fire and smoke at the Blacksmith Shop, unwashed wool at the Woollen Mill, etc.
Ask for the Village and train combo ticket if you decide to include a miniature train ride in your visit.
This ticket can also be purchased online prior to your arrival.